Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

#W.I.P. Transformers: Roll Out Sprite Comic Project

Discussion in 'Sprites' started by Plokman, Mar 6, 2018.

↑ ↓
  1. Plokman

• 5/30

Mar 5, 2018
    Hey All,
    Plokman here to show off and ask for crits on my current major spriting project. Transformers: Roll Out is a project I've been working on for almost 10 years now though technically only the spriting part has been around for the last 2 years or so. I've not gotten too terribly much so far due to ADHD and a occasional depression spell but I have no plans to stop it ever so it is going on.

Roll Out is a challenge for me as both a writer and spriter as I want to improve both and I also have my own ideas for the battle between Autobot and Decepticon. First off the series will take ques from some of the exsisting series for example Spike Witwiki, Jack Darby and Sari Sumdac are going to be human characters who are friends of the Autobots but they are to be my takes on them.

I'll post more as I go but for the biggest reason I am sure your all here for and the thing I want to improve on sprites. First up we have a dozey Big Bot himself in Earth vehicle mode Ladies, Gentelmen, bots cons and maybe even locomotives I give to you my first sprite of Optimus Prime

Vehicle mode is based on a Peterbuilt 350 Cabover Semi Truck with custom rear axle fenders based off the Transformers Prime design. Trailer is of course based off his Prime design but as a Semi he can pull any kind of trailer.

As you can see based off this sprite much of the comic is to be in a 3/4 view point akin to Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, and the recent Stardew Valley which was how I came to create this sprite using the truck as a reference point for angle and shading.

The whole comic will be done in whatever style is best for the panels and all but primarily it's to be in 3/4 view.

I have one more Vehicle mode character I can show to you now as he is finally finished (After way too long thank you ADHD.) Everyone I present to you Earth mode Ironhide

I am not sure if I should leave the Bed Black or make it Vermilion like the rest of the Vehicle. Ironhide I always saw taking on this kind of Truck as a Alt. Mode a Sentinel Steam DG8 Lorry. It just makes so much sense for the big near invincible second in command of Optimus to become a vehicle that has a literal Iron hide.

Durring the designing phase I actually talked with the owner of the last of this model of machine and he was a very interesting guy to talk with and I have promised to give him credit for allowing me to use his Sentinel in my stories. If you want to see the marvelous photos I used as reference have a look at Richard's facebook here https://www.facebook.com/sentineldg8/photos?lst=100000940231084:100002173431471:1519437640&source_ref=pb_friends_tl

But yeah this is the start of a big project and I hope you all enjoy taking this journey with me. I hope to make it great. My next vehicle mode character is to be Megatron and at this moment I have a poll going to help pick which colors suit him for my comic so if you want to help me pick http://pollmaker.vote/p/SIUEONCR

One last thing before I call the first post finished but I am in need of some advice on a crutial part of the sprite making I'll be making once I have all Cardinal directions done for the Vehicle modes and that is methodology on how best to simulate a turn in this perspective. I've learned a smooth frame set for going from facing south to facing east can be done in three frames with Retro City Rampage but I have not a clue what best to start with.

Anyway I hope you all enjoy and I will see you soon with more.

Crits and feedback very welcome.

Take care and have a safe evening and week,
    #1 Plokman, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. captainkakarot64

• 27/30

Sep 2, 2017
    The perspective of your cars looks similliar to the pokemon games (before X and Y) maybe you can add that as reference? It looks very difficult to sprite in that perspective, either way goodluck with your project.
    Plokman likes this.