Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

#Series Paper Mario Animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by E-Man, Jul 18, 2017.

↑ ↓
  1. captainkakarot

• 7/30

Oh okay that makes sense.

Well I'm not an expert with backgrounds but here's some comments.
    I think adding bricks to the fortress would look better and I prefer how the water looks like in the original picture. It also looks like the paved path around the left tower runs up the loose wall and that's easily fixable by adding a fence or adding a new color to the loose wall. I like border B and outlines A

2. E-Man

• 17/30

In any case, I sent you an e-mail last night or so. Still, I think it's for the best if we discuss what's on your mind here. If you have any questions, you could either shoot RHLPixels a PM or I'll ask her myself if you tell me in private. In any case, welcome aboard!

Now, as for your critiques...
    [​IMG]

3. captainkakarot

• 7/30

Yes, the new color will definitly work with the loose wall. The second example with the bricks looks better but I was thinking something among the lines of the bricks from rogueport.

I thought border B would look better then A then again it's harder to judge if you only see the texture itself instead of the whole thing.

Why would you need to make two layers of lake, does this have to do with those 3d effect tricks you see in boundary break? The lake you made in the concept art looks weird with the random balls. Would it be easier to make the lake kinda like this but simplified?
    [​IMG]

4. E-Man

• 17/30

Forgive me for taking so long to get back to you! I was too fixated on the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, so that put me out of commission for a while. In any case, I'm back again and ready to answer!

Now, regarding the bricks, do you mean the ones for the houses or the harbor? If it's the latter, then that's a fair compromise!
    [​IMG]

So, when I'm modeling these backgrounds, Ill give both types of borders a try. The one that looks the most appealing is the fine decision.

As for the water, I actually drew inspiration from Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga. Since looking at a solid blue sheet is rather bland, I thought the circles would make for a good compromise. Still, I can try it like how it is in the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Obviously, the one with the waves is a bit more manageable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What I was originally going for: (open)
    [​IMG]

So, I'll experiment with some of those suggestions as I rewrite some of the script. In the meantime, I have a new piece of concept art to share!

[​IMG]

5. E-Man

• 17/30

Why am I tackling World 1-1- you might ask? Well, it's iconic and it's useful for the current two project on my list!

[​IMG]

I tried working on the whole level in a single picture, but it's way too long. Instead, I'll just break it down and only illustrate the more notable features.

rhlpixels likes this.
  6. rhlpixels

rhlpixels Rigorous Hipster Lady Pixels
    Staff Member Administrator Hall of Famer
    • 437/474

CC Points:
    This looks awesome yo!! I like the pipe coverings too, I think using both of them would be good! Awesome ideas, love your attention to detail on everything. Very thorough! Can't wait to see this evolve

E-Man likes this.
  7. captainkakarot

• 7/30

I don't wan't to derail too much but is it the wii u or the switch version you have of breath of the wild?

And yeah I was talking about the bricks from the harbor. I like most of the sprites and backgrounds of superstar saga but I always thought the circles on the water looked odd. Which picture of zelda wind waker are you going to use as reference for the lake?

Wow I never noticed that about the clouds and bushes. The solution for the two pipes with the goomba seems a bit farfetched. I would shrug it off and declare it video game logic. Like how could tanooki mario fly beyond the clouds with just running and wagging his tail, I just accept it but whatever floats your boat I guess?

Also why is there a bandage on the warp pipe? I like the wooden planks on the pipes. I love the blocky hill with eyes and I also like the dark green blocky hills. I don't like the orange hills. When the path breaks apart is it similar to the multiple paths like in some sonic games?

8. E-Man

• 17/30

I have the Switch version. A fun fact is that I received the game on my birthday, yet I never found a Switch console until the middle of August.

Okay! Those bricks seem manageable enough! As for the water, I'm using the big image where Link is sailing.

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of video game logic. I even barely tolerate during gameplay sessions. Also, ledges and cliffs are awesome!

Now, regarding the bandaged pipe, I wanted World 1-1 in a slight state of disrepair. Since that pipe is next to the Lonely Goomba, I amplified the rundown attributes just a touch.

Anyway, it'll please you that I'm not including the orange hills. I actually can't stand those, but I only brought them up just in case I'm badgered into including the hills.

As for the paths, you mean how there are high roads and low roads in the Sonic games? I want to show World 1-2 from some of the chasms, but what I actually meant is how the "cobblestone" loosens up as it reaches an edge. It's more of a stylistic choice for adding a degree of realism.

Before I go, though, I have this to share! It's a rewrite of my script!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0568phruvhpj2l/Koopa Bros Script3.rtf?dl=0

9. Chia

• 12/30

I tampered with this style using a custom MapleStory rig sheet, but I'm glad someone figured a better sheet layout than me. This looks pretty solid, sir.

E-Man likes this.
  10. rhlpixels

rhlpixels Rigorous Hipster Lady Pixels
    Staff Member Administrator Hall of Famer
    • 437/474

CC Points:
    I love all this planning and details you do, it's fun watching this project evolve! This art style + that script is going to be great

E-Man likes this.
  11. captainkakarot

• 7/30

Oops I forgot to post here. You already know why I can't help you with the story (I don't want to get too much spoilers) but anyways good luck with the script ;)

E-Man likes this.
  12. E-Man

• 17/30

Well, I try confining all the parts in a 0-1 space, so that applying the texture in Maya would provide less of hassle. While I'm not the first fan to create a Paper Mario rig (including this one), it's safe to assume that I created the best one yet out of all the ones I've seen. By the way, can I see some of your experiments with Paper Mario?

It takes a good while, but it sure is worth it to review the progress I've created thus far. It really puts it into perspective on the effort I invested over the course of months.

Oh, I understand. In any case, I hope that the end product pleases you!

So, it has been way too long in my opinion, so here is a new piece of concept art! Since I could always us screen shots for additional references, I think I hardly have any more pieces of concept art to whip up!
    [​IMG]

13. captainkakarot

• 7/30

Pipes B and C are the ones I prefer and I like the collapsed bridge. The curving path looks a bit unnatural, I would make that more subtle. I think the wooden planks on the pipe and fort would look better if it's in more different sizes and more exagerated I guess. sort of like this
    [​IMG]

14. E-Man

• 17/30

The curved path is a bit of an extreme example to show what I had in mind. The real path will end up a lot more tame. Also, the planks will be different lengths in the final product.

By the way, before I show these rig tests with my Goomba, I'd like you to know that Leo is now dead. My family dog was born on February 25th, 2007 and died on November 30th of this year. My family and I are not feeling so hot as a result.

[​IMG]

15. captainkakarot

• 7/30

Sorry to hear about your dog.
    It's good to hear that the planks and path will change in the final product but I'll keep an eye on you with that. Are you going to rig koopa next?