Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

#Series Paper Mario Animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by E-Man, Jul 18, 2017.

↑ ↓
  1. E-Man

• 17/30

I promised a surprise, so here you go!

If you think that's good, that's only the tip of the iceberg! I've spent the last 2.5+ years working on this whole project and I have a lot to show!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even though I haven't created that much in the grand scheme of things, this still isn't everything! I'll post more later.

rhlpixels likes this.
  2. rhlpixels

rhlpixels Rigorous Hipster Lady Pixels
    Staff Member Administrator Hall of Famer
    • 437/474

CC Points:
    Holy hype!! These are fantastic!Wow, the models look so friggen nice. What's the grand plan with these? Are you going to make animation videos or are you making a fangame? Either way, HYPE.

E-Man likes this.
  3. Yalashanda

Yalashanda Push-ups, sit-ups and plenty of juice
    Member Hall of Famer
    • 27/30

CC Points:
    I feel like Mario looks more like a Cardboard Mario then a Paper Mario

4. E-Man

• 17/30

Wow! What a reception! I'm also getting eaten up on the Discord in the best way possible, so I think I found my new home!
    Oh? That's not a problem, is it?

5. Yalashanda

Yalashanda Push-ups, sit-ups and plenty of juice
    Member Hall of Famer
    • 27/30

CC Points:
    No, it's just that I wasn't expecting this x)
    Still looks really good ^^

E-Man likes this.
  6. E-Man

• 17/30

Ah! Thanks for the clarification! I was a little worried I was doing something wrong, but it looks like you guys exceeded my expectations!

Anyway, I'm glad Neweegee drew my attention here! It seems like I found paradise online! Thank you for making my day (and hopefully many more)!

By the way, is it possible to upload my "Cardboard" Mario sheets onto the main site or something? I would like a host for them, so that other people could use them as they see fit.

rhlpixels likes this.
  7. E-Man

• 17/30

I hope you don't mind the double post, but I have new progress to share! This also marks the moment when I'm through with creating character sheets for the first few shorts! Now, as I rig these babies up, I'll also work on concept art and storyboards!

Oh, by the way, is it possible to upload these onto the main site or something?

Kent C. Koopa
    https://www.mfgg.net/?act=resdb&param=02&c=1&id=33891

Recolors (NOTE: Links only last for a limited time only)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq1eadbdpp3tmti/Alt. Koopa Palettes.zip?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsa9cm3cffni3xf/Alt. Ninjakoopa Palettes.zip?dl=0

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yalashanda likes this.
  8. E-Man

• 17/30

Now that all the sheets for the next couple of shorts are out of the way, my next big focus is designing the sets. Before that, though, I want to decide on the general art direction of the sets. As such, I cobbled together a bunch of mockups using screenshots from the web. The final decision will determine how I'll produce the textures and (to an extent) model the sets.

[​IMG]

1. How it looks in the original game for the Nintendo 64. Everything is highly saturated, the textures look painted to an extent, and there's an angular look to an extent.

2. How the Hundred Acre Woods look in the first Kingdom Hearts game. Everything still looks painted (with a hint of crosshatching), but the polygons are a lot smoother and the textures are desaturated.

3. This is the general art direction of the Thousand Year Door. The polygons are a bit smoother and everything is still saturated; however, the textures looks a little like a comic book. There are also some gradient.

4. My own take on the art direction from the Thousand Year Door. The palette is slightly different and I have a larger reliance on gradients. These textures were created in Adobe Fireworks by the way.

5. Here's the art direction of Color Splash. The textures are more akin the construction paper, which is what my puppets are supposed to be made from. The colors are also a tad bit desaturated and a lot of parts look angular due to the paper craft look.

6. This is an image created by Iggig Salad. It's similar to the art direction of Color Splash, but the colors a bit more saturated. Also the paper craft construction is slightly different.

So, what do you think? Wanna see some elements mixed and matched?

EDIT: Darn it! I thought that the JPEG turned out fine on my end, but I guess not... Oh well, I uploaded the PNG instead.

NOTES
    So Yala wants option four. He doesn't like options two and five because they are way too different.

Now, Drawer wants options three, five or six. While he can't decide which, it's clear that option two is on thin ice.

Blear and ZenithX really want to drop option two. Unless my buddy Bullock DS says otherwise, I'm axing it in the next round. For Blear, he personally likes one, three, and four. As for ZenithX, he chooses one, three, and six. Five doesn't really fit that well, while four is rather busy in spite of a nice palette.

Alright, RHLPixels (AKA Kat) wants either one or three (but mostly one). From the look of things, option two is now in a deeper grave, while options five and six (but mostly the former) are on the way out. Four could work as long as I don't make it too busy.

#8 E-Man, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. rhlpixels

• 437/474

CC Points:
    So much work, wow!!!! That's a lot of pieces for a lot of characters!!! I <3 <3 <3 dry bones, adorable and badass in equal parts. I also really like what looks to be the pilot koopa! TBH I would love to see the process behind these, like what steps you take from start to finish. They look so pro and clean and legit. Like seriously, put them in a game and they'd look like official nintendo material.

E-Man likes this.
  10. E-Man

• 17/30

I'm glad you still like my Dry Bones! Also, I didn't forget about that Mario Bros. parody, so don't worry! Should be a load of fun to animate! :D
    As for the pilot Koopa, that's Parakarry. He's a partner in the original game. Perhaps you should play it sometime?

So, for the process of my work, I'm happy to revive my streams again! I stopped because there wad a lack of attendance. I'll tell you more in the Discord chat!

Anyway, to review the background choices, option two is almost dead. There are three votes for option one (Kat really wants this), four votes for option three, two votes for option four, one vote for option five, and two votes for opton six. By the look of things, options one and three will make it to the next round, while elements from four and six will be considered.

rhlpixels likes this.
  11. rhlpixels

• 437/474

CC Points:
    I didn't get to see as much of the stream as I would have liked but I see that it's a lot of work, gotta respect this abundance of resources you have made so far! It's very impressive. You have a really good sense of shapes, it's something I always struggled with so I appreciate the hell out of pro shapes lol

Also option 3 is a really nice one! It goes well with your art!

E-Man likes this.
  12. E-Man

• 17/30

Huh! I never realized that I have a good sense of shapes! Anyway, thanks for attending my stream! I hope to get another one in order for you.

By the way, speaking of the options, I was able to narrow a few things down.

[​IMG]

Also, I went ahead with a little more experimentation. I not only took elements from the last two options, but I also drew some inspiration on how my characters are built. Do you think I should desaturate the background to distinguish it for the characters?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By the way, I handled the gradient in two different ways. So, which one do you like better? How it's applied to the blades of grass or the "border fringe?"

rhlpixels likes this.
  13. rhlpixels

• 437/474

CC Points:
    I personally like the slightly less saturation BG. As long as it's not gone over board, which it doesn't look like it is then it should be good. And I definitely prefer the gradient on the "border fringe" above, it has more character

E-Man likes this.
  14. E-Man

• 17/30

Sure thing! I attempted less saturation with this new image down here. Finding the right setting was a little difficult, but I think this works.
    Saturation: -20
    Lightness: 5
    [​IMG]
    Old image for comparison:
    [​IMG]

By the way, since I have a clearer direction for the gradient (i.e. the one that looks segmented), I experimented with a couple of different options. I think the straight edge variation from before has it's uses, but I went with more of a zigzag look for the bottom one. I can use other "borders," such as a move wavy one. As for the top one, it's an attempt at dithering shading. I personally don't like it because it hardly looks the way I want it and requires too much effort. Still, I'm open for suggestions on how to make it look nicer.
    [​IMG]

15. Nite Shadow

• 17/30

That island looks pretty good actually. Mario seems to be slightly askew, but that's not a big deal. (especially being Paper Mario)
    I kinda like the jagged outline style you have chosen overall BTW.

E-Man likes this.
  16. E-Man

• 17/30

Not to worry! I'll see if I can have Mario directly face the camera in the actual renders. I mean, this is just a test.

By the way, what do you mean by "jagged outline?" You mean how everything is polygonal?

17. Nite Shadow

• 17/30

Exactly.

E-Man likes this.
  18. E-Man

• 17/30

Oh, boy... I left this thread hanging, didn't I? Finishing the concept art took a lot more time than originally anticipated, but it's ready now! Since five years have passed since the original Paper Mario, the Koopa Bros. Fortress is in a state of disrepair.

[​IMG]

The original:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...ision/latest?cb=20100702011325&path-prefix=es

By the way, while some people like the desaturated backgrounds, Koopaul thinks it's not that necessary due to character outlines. I want to go with desaturated backgrounds for stylistic reasons, but I'm fine either way. What do you think?

19. captainkakarot

• 7/30

Hi E-Man, so you already posted the next concept art/background, how come you didn't show me this time?

E-Man likes this.
  20. E-Man

• 17/30

Actually, I was going to shoot you an e-mail. It's just that I was busy with other commitments and I lost focus.

#20 E-Man, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017