Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

#Official Challenge Cup: Suggestions & Feedback

Discussion in 'CC General' started by NEXBOT, Sep 17, 2015.

↑ ↓
  1. NEXBOT

Administrator Member
    • 188/237

CC Points:
    In order to provide better challenges, this will be the place where you can voice your opinions on our Challenge Cup.

If you have event suggestions I strongly recommend you post them here. If it's a good idea it'll eventually be done. Also if you want to give any other type of feedback feel free to.

It also helps me know what the different areas of our community are into. I'd love to hear from some of the animating community for example.

rhlpixels likes this.
  2. rhlpixels

rhlpixels Rigorous Hipster Lady Pixels
    Staff Member Administrator Hall of Famer
    • 437/474

CC Points:
    Great idea!!

I think I may have mentioned it already, but I would love a video game screenshot mockup one.

That can be a hefty project though lol so maybe an alternate and easier idea would be to take one of your favorite characters from anything other than a fighting game and make a sprite of them that would fit in a fighting game.

3. TheHowlingStorm

TheHowlingStorm The Mega King of Fighters
    Donator Member
    • 38/59

I agree with the idea of a fighting game mockup entry. But to expand that, we should have it to where it can be a video game mockup of any genre of games, just to not narrow it down and get more people interested in doing it.

Also I suggest a Versus comic entry. As a reference to your collab comics with Risky.

rhlpixels likes this.
  4. rhlpixels

• 437/474

CC Points:
    That was my original idea, just an in general video game mockup. I don't know if the community is big enough for a project that big though, but it would be an absolutely awesome experience! I just mentioned the rendering characters into fighting game characters cause it seems a little easier than to do a full-on from-scratch video game mockup. If we're ready for a mockup screen though, I'll be happier than a pig in poo :3
    What inspired the idea (open)

Snake from PixelJoint is a BEAST at mockups.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

NΣRO and NEXBOT like this.
  5. NEXBOT

Administrator Member
    • 188/237

CC Points:
    The idea of spriting a video game screenshot is brilliant.

Just keep in mind some challenge ideas are ahead of our time since the user base is small I wouldn't do that particular request immediately.

6. rhlpixels

• 437/474

CC Points:
    All this CC talk in chat made me want to put in an idea I've had for a while for a challenge. Inspired by one of Dimitri's specials in Darkstalkers; a gender swap challenge. Take one of your favorite characters (Video game, anime, whatever, just a character) and pixel what you think they'd look like as the opposite gender.

NEXBOT likes this.
  7. NEXBOT

Administrator Member
    • 188/237

CC Points:
    If you guys got more challenge ideas be sure to post them.

Even if it's a whole list I don't mind, I'll read everything.

8. rhlpixels

• 437/474

CC Points:
    - Make your own Pokemon along with a 3-stage Evolution of it

- Palette challenge

- Isometrics challenge

- Pixel a visual representation of one of the seven deadly sins

- Pixel a mythological deity

NEXBOT likes this.
  9. EnteiTheHedgehog

EnteiTheHedgehog Entei-cutioner
    Staff Member Moderator Member Hall of Famer
    • 87/119

CC Points:
    For the next challenge cup or for future challenge cups, here's my ideas for now:

1. Sprite an emoji that's either custom made by you or sprite a character that makes the same face as the emoji, it can be any types of emoji of your choice, don't just choose regular happy, sad, or mad emojis.

2. Sprite a character in their classic design from the year they were originally made, for characters you wanted to choose that didn't have a classic design from the 90's or 2000 has to turn it into old school classic version.
    Example:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    Making Bowser in his classic design shown

and

3. Sprite your least favorite character you really disliked.

#9 EnteiTheHedgehog, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    rhlpixels and NEXBOT like this.
  10. rhlpixels

• 437/474

CC Points:
    I just thought of a relatively simple one! Either

A. Sprite yourself cosplaying one of your fav characters.

B. Sprite yourself as a character in a fictional world of your choosing. Not as an existing character but what you would look like if you lived in that world (IE Sprite yourself if you were a Street Fighter or Final Fantasy character etc etc...)

#10 rhlpixels, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    EnteiTheHedgehog likes this.
  11. Piraña Sombrero

Staff Member Moderator
    • 199/237

CC Points:
    Challenge cup is less challenging when there are no limits to it. I suggest we add more limits using the following variables: colors, size, frames, transparency etc.

Examples of this would be:
    [Theme]
    [Additional points]

-Palette is limited to [n] colors || Must use [n] colors for the base and [n x 2] colors for AA || Using this palette: [carefully chosen palette]
    -Max size [width x height] || Min size [width x height] || Size: [width x height]
    -Max number of frames: [n] || At least [n] frames || No animation
    -Top half of the sprite must have a transparent background || Can't use transparency || Background must be [color] || [texture]
    -Dithering || No dithering
    ETC.

|| - OR
    (sprite-only since I don't do animation/comics and don't know how this would work for those mediums)

NEXBOT, rhlpixels and Windighost like this.
  12. NEXBOT

Administrator Member
    • 188/237

CC Points:
    Not every challenge cup has been completely ambiguous & free though.

CC2, CC3, & CC5 were relatively challenging. The only reason hard challenges don't pop up at a high frequency is because it is very hard to predict/gauge the interest for challenge. A lot of the easier ones have generated decent participation.

Also this forum is still new as hell (7 months?), it will take time before its at a size where hard challenges can be pumped out more frequently. A lot of the people who join are newbies, so by default there will be challenges that are simply more newbie friendly.

But there definitely have been some harder challenges for both sprite and animation. If we look back at the participation numbers though, they bombed. Most likely because they were released prematurely.

This is one of those things that will just take time to improve.

CC8 Won't be easy though. I'll try and do create something more difficult.

Piraña Sombrero and rhlpixels like this.
  13. Kelax

Kelax Groovy Robot
    Member Hall of Famer
    • 87/119

CC Points:
    If we're entertaining the idea of bringing back the Comics catgory:

Tell a story with no text.
    Write an origin story for a character, silver-age style.
    Work a particular line of dialogue into the story.
    Write a character trying to convince another character to part with an object that has sentimental value.
    Write a story about an outrageous bluff.

rhlpixels likes this.
  14. EnteiTheHedgehog

• 87/119

CC Points:
    In addition to your Comics catgory suggestions Kelax, I would add these to this one as well:

1. Create a very short fight scene while making the part of how did the fight started and the outcome similar to Screwattack's One Minute Melee but don't just make a fight scene without adding some effects and text effects of what are your chosen fighters are doing.
    2. A short pokemon battle that'll play either like in the games or in the anime
    3. Make a comical scene similar to how in the cartoons and/or in some animes works; examples like make some characters bicker with one another, one or more characters get into a mishap and/or a character or a group chases after someone for stealing a skateboard or something. That might work I guess.

That is it for my comic suggestions.

As for my CC suggestions for sprites/pixels but I'll put it in a spoiler tag to make life easier:

Show Spoiler
    1. Have one or more characters/people playing any board games you liked such as chess, checkers, or whatever board game that's out there.
    2. A character with a iPod Commercial like pose but not as a silhouette unless your going for a wallpaper pixel art version of what character your gonna choose that'll be in it.
    3. Make a sprite/pixel art of a medium size DVD box cover of what kind of game do you want to look like if the creators are planning on making a movie of it with chosen characters to represent themselves in the front cover.
    4. International Waifu/Husbando Day: sprite a character you strongly admired so much that you feel like you wanted to sprite it so bad he/she deserves attention like how a fanboy/fangirl predicts.
    5. Sprite a villain you liked the most, it can be from anything(anime/tv show/video game/etc.), you can also sprite an original villain you wanted to make as long as it's well made via imagination and how original it looks.

Okay that would be all and I hope these would give NexGen some new ideas for future challenge cups! :D

#14 EnteiTheHedgehog, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    rhlpixels likes this.
  15. Piraña Sombrero

Staff Member Moderator
    • 199/237

CC Points:
    I can sprite Elsa in 75% of those suggestions! Yuuta approves [​IMG]

EnteiTheHedgehog likes this.
  16. SeldomBlood

SeldomBlood The Bloodiest Pixel
    • 17/30

CC Points:
    I had an idea for the sprite section

Create something involving the nuclear apocalypse either something from Wasteland, Fallout, or something original. Up to you

rhlpixels likes this.
  17. SeldomBlood

SeldomBlood The Bloodiest Pixel
    • 17/30

CC Points:
    I just had another idea for the designing sprite section

Design your "Man Cave"
    Essentially make an isometric portrait of your dream bedroom. Anything from collectables, wacky furniture, consoles, scrolls, wallpapers, figures, ect.

rhlpixels likes this.
  18. Drakna

• 8/30

create your own character?

19. Piraña Sombrero

Staff Member Moderator
    • 199/237

CC Points:
    It's not that specific, it should be something like: "a weapon from a post-apocalyptic era"
    Man/gal-cave sounds better. Sounds good.
    It's not specific enough to be a theme.

Thank you for your suggestions ^^

20. EnteiTheHedgehog

• 87/119

CC Points:
    Bump *flees from getting caught by Yuuta or RHL for just saying one word*

I only got 2 ideas for the sprite category as of now, let's see what I have in mind... Ummmmmmm.

1. "Avatar": Sprite a character that represents you as your trademark avatar, make sure the character you have chosen is in small size if your going to make the full body, mugshots are acceptable too(and no, not just representing yourself as a blue monkey from the James Cameron film series called Avatar). 100x100 dimensions is necessary.

2. "Let's make some Magic!": Sprite a mage(from any video game/manga/anime/movies/tv series/etc) in an interesting costume, the design can be based out of the ones from the final fantasy series but not entirely since you can choose any character that is a magician/mage from any series(Magus from Chrono Trigger or Trucy Wright from the Ace Attorney series for example) or you can create your own unique mage in an interesting costume.

That will be all.

Piraña Sombrero and rhlpixels like this.